Huduma is a citizen initiative of SODNET – INFONET. It is a platform that enables citizens to amplify their voices in the demand for services directly to authorities and service providers.
Huduma is both a strategy and a technology tool. The technology component entails the deployment of a web and mobile-based platform that aggregates and channels concerns and observations of citizens (SMS, voice, video etc) directly to authorities for redress.
The strategy involves building multiple partnerships with civil society groups, governments and other service providers to promote civic engagement, facilitate public and media utilization of Huduma as a problem-solving tool and to engender government buy-in at the local and national levels. The goal of the strategy is to contribute to the improvement of service delivery by providing simple technology/media based tools and channels to amplifying citizen’s concerns, displeasures, complaints or suggestions and to demand and hold duty bearers accountable.
The technology platform is an integrated platform which is powered by a significantly modified Ushahidi instance which itself is built on an open source framework. The modified version of the platform is the brainchild of a Kenyan organization – SODNET, in collaboration with the UN Millennium Campaign (UNMC).
The implementation of Huduma is premised on an expanded partnership strategy based on institutional strength and expertise. In Kenya, the partnerships involve:
- HUDUMA Coordination: SODNET
- Technology: InfoNet
- Community engagement and outreach: National Tax Association, UNMC
- Faith based organizations: Organization of African Instituted Churches (OAIC)
- Research, M&E and Policy Engagement: AIHD, KIPPRA, UON
- Government Collaboration: Ministry of Planning, Kenya National Bureau of Statistics, Ministry of Communications
- Thematic Foci and Verification: KETAM (health), Uwezo (Education), SNV (Water)
- Coordination, collaboration of UN system and International Partners – UNMC, SODNET
- International promotion and spread of Huduma – SODNET and UNMC
HUDUMA is developed as a model for open governance that allows transparency and accountability in the provision of services. It seeks to facilitate especially the demand-side of service provisioning through encouraging active citizenship and citizen-state engagement. HUDUMA is open source and can be scaled up to any country or scaled down to individual institutions. For inquiry, please contact us on the available channels!